Buyer's Guide Table of Contents
When it comes to choosing the best vacuum for your home, not all makes and models are created equally. The majority of vacuums are designed with low pile and low maintenance flooring in mind.
Using the wrong vacuum for a high pile carpet can cause damage to both the vacuum and the carpeting itself. Choosing the best high pile carpet vacuum can help extend the life of your carpet.
High pile carpets have deeper pockets near the bottom that can grab onto dust, dirt, and allergens, and a regular vacuum doesn't have the suction or power to clean that deep.
Heres the bottom line.
These ten vacuum models listed have been tested and proven to be the best of the best for keeping the long, shaggy, high piled carpets and rugs the cleanest.
If you want to learn more about a particular vacuum model, simply click on "Jump to More Details" and we will carry you along to the details section for that high pile carpet vacuum model.
Soniclean Soft Carpet Upright Vacuum Cleaner
Large front wheels make pushing through high pile carpet easy. Will effectively clean high pile carpeting, but may be too rough for hard wood.
Dyson Ball Multi Floor Upright Vacuum
Can effectively clean all types of carpets, high pile included. Dyson "Ball Technology" makes it very maneuverable. Asthma/Allergy Friendly.
Hoover T-Series WindTunnel Pet Rewind
Has 5 carpet height adjustments so it can tackle high pile easily, as well as other carpet types. Great for pet hair but debris container can be hard to empty.
Oreck LW100 Magnesium SP Bagged Upright Vacuum
This two-speed vacuum extremely lightweight, it's main selling point (7lbs). It is great for high pile carpets and rugs. It struggles with pet hair and does not include attachments.
Maytag M1200 Upright Vacuum Cleaner
Capable of cleaning all types of carpet including high pile/shag, but gentle enough for hardwood as well. Includes a HEPA filter, but weighs over 20 lbs.
Fuller Brush Speedy Maid Upright Vacuum
Weighs under 8 lbs with some of the strongest suction of any vacuum on this list. It will work great on all types of carpets, but is priced higher than other lightweight models.
Panasonic MC-CL945 Plush Pro Bagless Canister
Very strong suction, with convenient canister for easy, quick cleaning. It is quiet and includes a HEPA filter, but replacement parts can be hard to find if anything breaks.
Shark Navigator Lift-Away Professional Vacuum (NV370)
Swivel controls make it great for navigating furniture, it has a large canister and can clean plush carpeting and bare floors.
Oreck Commercial U2000R-1
Strong suction and automatic floor adjusting capabilities. Great for deep cleaning carpets, but is heavy and may be hard to push across really thick carpeting.
Bissell Powerforce Helix Technology Vacuum
Extra wide cleaning path makes for efficient cleaning. Comes with a washable filter, but has a comparably weak motor which may not be the best at deep down messes.
Choosing a Vacuum For Thick Carpeting
Depending on your situation, you may have to take different approaches for choosing the best vacuum. Go ahead and ask yourself the following questions to help determine the best vacuum for your home.
1. What style of vacuum do you want? - There are many types of vacuums ranging from self-powered Robot vacuums to bagless uprights and canister vacuums.
2. How much are you willing to spend? - Generally speaking, you can get a quality vacuum cleaner for around $200 - $250, although prices can range anywhere from $50 - $1000. If your budget is smaller than that, you may have a machine that requires more maintenance and may not last as long. However, if your budget is higher, you open yourself up more features and accessories.
3. How much of your carpeting is high pile - This is important because if your entire home is high pile carpeting, you may want something different than if you are simply trying to clean a single rug.
Here are our choices for the top vacuum cleaners for high pile carpeting
Note: These vacuums were tested on high pile carpeting specifically. Some may do well on high pile carpeting only, while others will do well on multiple surfaces. Make sure to read the pros and cons of each model before deciding which one to buy.
- Large front wheels to make movement through thicker, longer carpet easier.
- Soft nylon roller bristles to thoroughly clean carpet fibers with no damage.
- Weighs only 10.5 pounds, making it easy to move and use.
- Can also clean hard flooring
- May be difficult to push through super thick carpets due to light size.
- Bags are sold separately from vacuum and can be pricey.
- Some consumers have had motor issues but the vacuum does include a five-year warranty.
More About The Soniclean Soft Carpet Upright Vacuum Cleaner
The Soniclean Soft Carpet Upright Vacuum Cleaner is designed to glide smoothly through high pile carpets, while also provide a deep and thorough cleaning. This model has a patented sonic cleaning system, that produces over two hundred vibrations per second to get dirt and dust from the deepest reaches of the carpet or rug.
Along with its Sonic cleaning system, this model by Soniclean also has a patented adjustable vent system, which allows the user to adjust the vents for every type of carpet. Additionally, the Soniclean Soft Carpet Vacuum also is able to clean hardwood floors as well as high pile carpeting successfully.
- Adjustable vent system
- Soft nylon brush roll bristles
- Large Front wheels - This allows the vacuum to "float" on soft carpeting
- 200 sonic vibrations per second effectively loosens ground-in dirt
Note: If you have hardwood floors, you may need a special, gentle vacuum to clean them effectively. Read more about them here.
- Has a self-adjusting suction head to provide a thorough cleaning of all carpet types inclduing high pile.
- Is equipped with Dyson’s ‘Ball Technology’ for easy maneuvering and handling during use.
- Certified asthma and allergy friendly.
- Lightweight design, the whole vacuum weighs in at around 17 pounds.
- Good for multiple floor types
- 5-year warranty
- Strong suction may make it hard to push
- Left some pet hair behind
More About The Dyson Ball Multi Floor Upright Vacuum
Dyson models are a fan favorite, and this model garnered recognition for its ability to clean high pile carpets easily. Many reviewers have raved about the high powered suction and how clean it keeps their houses compared to other models of vacuums they had purchased in the past.
This model is designed to be able to handle the plushest of high pile carpets and to be able to get all the small spots a regular vacuum wouldn’t be able to maneuver around. Another feature of the Dyson Ball Multi Floor Vacuum is it’s easy to empty compartment, which releases at the press of a button.
This vacuum is also ideal for those who want to have high pile carpets in their homes but suffer from allergies. We were amazed at how well this model cleaned, and it is certified allergy and asthma friendly.
>> Related Content: Best Vacuums For Carpet
- Self-adjusting cleaner head
- Wand/hose release in one action to clean high areas and under furniture
- HEPA filter
- Single button dirt bin release
- Weighs under nineteen pounds, making it easy to carry and use.
- Has 5 carpet height adjustment options.
- Can be used on a variety of floors and carpeting.
- Comes with a twenty-five-foot cord that automatically rewinds at the push of a button.
- Lower price than many other models.
- Works great on pet hair.
- Can be difficult to empty the debris canister.
- Louder than other Hoover models
- Loses suction after a few years.
More About The HOOVER T-Series WindTunnel Pet Rewind
This is one of the most popular Hoover vacuum models available. It has stood the test of time, and you can find thousands of raving reviews for it online.
This ‘Hoover’ model is also a multipurpose vacuum, able to work on all carpet types and helps eliminate unwanted pet hair from hardwood floors to high pile carpet and furniture with ease.
The Hoover T Series WindTunnel Pet Rewind model is great for smaller apartments as well as larger homes, with a foldable handle to provide secure storage. The retractable cord makes it easy to start cleaning and put the vacuum away after use.
This model is very powerful and cleans up pet hair from even the toughest high pile carpets and can move through plush carpets with ease. It also comes in three different colors to better suit your style.
- Under 19 lbs
- Folding handle for easy storage
- Automatically rewindable cord
- Includes air powered pet hand tool
- This model has a thirty foot cord to prevent stopping when vacuuming to get the job done faster and easier.
- Constructed from strong magnesium
- Has two roller speeds, one for thicker carpets and one for more delicate rugs and carpets.
- Does not include any attachments, those have to be bought separately.
- Can get clogged with pet hair.
More About The Oreck LW100 Magnesium SP Bagged Upright Vacuum
The Oreck LW100 Magnesium Upright Unit is one of the lightest vacuums on this list, weighing in at just over seven pounds. It’s sturdy magnesium body and light weight makes this a great choice for getting around furniture and tight spots.
This model from Oreck is stated to be the Best choice for plush, high-pile carpets and delicate surfaces from various 3rd party reviews, and many reviews mention how easy it is to handle and how well it works on high pile carpeting even with its small size. This model does require the use of bags, which have to be bought separately, along with any attachments. Along with its many raving reviews on its quality and durability, the Oreck LW100 Magnesium Upper Unit has received the seal of approval from the Carpet & Rug Institute.
- HEPA filter
- Safe for plush carpeting and hard floors
- Comes with 3 bags
- Multiple speeds
- Uses two motors to better clean carpets and hardwood floors.
- Thirty five foot cord for less hassle when it comes to cleaning large spaces.
- Has six adjustable carpet height positions.
- Includes HEPA and charcoal based filtration to get rid of allergens and unpleasant odors.
- A bit heavier, weighing in at twenty one pounds.
- Difficult to get replacement parts if something breaks.
- Not good for older users, as it can be heavy and hard to maneuver.
More About The Maytag M1200 Upright Vacuum Cleaner
While this model from Maytag may not be as colorful or fancy as some of the other vacuums mentioned previously, the Maytag M1200 forgoes all the bells and whistles to provide a basic vacuum that outperforms flashier models.
The Maytag M1200 is able to deeply clean a variety of carpeting, from high pile versions to even hardwood floors. Even though it weighs twenty one pounds, its shocking how easy it is to move across thick carpets. Even with its swift movement, it cleans deep to pick up the most dirt and pet hair.
- Made in the USA
- Dual intake system for multi-floor cleaning
- LED headlights
- 35-foot cord
- 6 carpet height positions
- Lightweight, weighs only eight pounds.
- Extremely strong suction.
- Works well on many carpet types.
- Uses bags that can be hard to insert.
- Higher price for a lightweight model.
More About The Fuller Brush Speedy Maid Upright Vacuum
The Fuller Brush Speedy Maid Upright Vacuum packs a lot of punch in a very tiny body. It may only weigh eight pounds, but this vacuum has been a favorite of thick carpet owners for years. It has a self adjustable brush roll that can tackle a variety of different carpets and rugs and even works great on hardwood. It has a strong LED headlight to help find dirt and dust in corners and underneath furniture for an extra thorough cleaning as well.
This model is also perfect for older users because it’s so lightweight, so its no hassle to carry around a house or up and down stairs.Even though it weights a small eight pounds, its body is extremely well made and durable and can last for years.
- HEPA Filter
- 30-foot power cord
- LED headlights
- Reclines fully to reach under furniture
- Lightweight for maneuverability
- Designed with air infusion and Jet Force Technologies.
- Can be emptied via canister, no pesky vacuum bags to deal with.
- Contains twelve amps of power.
- HEPA Filters to cut down on allergens.
- Hard to find replacement parts if breakage occurs.
- Has a tendency to fall when cleaning corners or hard to reach places.
- Cleaning heads may detach while cleaning, which can be a minor annoyance to users.
More About The Panasonic MC-CL945 Plush Pro
The Panasonic MC-CL945 Plush Pro is perfect for high pile carpets, along with all other lengths and styles one may have in their home. With its twelve amps of power, it has a strong suction that can clean the deepest of carpet fibers and is great for picking up allergens and pet hair from various critters in the home.
It provides fast and easy emptying, with its built-in canister, and the nozzle is designed to prevent clogging from pet hair or any amount of dust and dirt it pulls up.
- Jet force technology
- 12-amp motor
- Compact and lightweight
- Quiet operation
- Easy lift away dirt canister, makes for simple cleaning and disposal.
- Works on plush carpet and bare floors with ease.
- Extra large holding capacity for more cleaning, less stopping.
- Swivel controls work great for rooms with a lot of furniture.
- Bulky design can be challenging for some users to maneuver under furniture.
- In some cases, the suction has decreased with excessive use.
- Suction can be too strong for area rugs.
- On the heavier side.
More About The Shark Navigator Lift-Away
The Shark Navigator Lift Away is a very popular vacuum because it is sturdy, versatile, and reasonably priced. It has a dual feature that allows it to switch from high pile plush carpets to smooth bare hardwood floors with ease and it doesn't skimp on performance in either setting.
The canister is easy to empty and reattach, and its larger size makes it great for those who prefer to wait a bit between emptying the dirt and dust. Its design also makes it perfect for maneuvering around tight corners, hard to reach places, and under furniture.
- 2 in 1 vacuum; upright and liftaway
- HEPA filter
- Swivel steering
- Extra-large canister capacity
- Good on high pile carpeting and hard wood
- Perfect for senior citizens, the handle is designed to help those with arthritis and other ailments use the vacuum with ease.
- Has automatic floor adjustment capabilities.
- The vacuum has a twelve-inch cleaning area, helps to clean large rooms faster.
- Super strong suction works great for deep cleaning high plush carpeting.
- Bulky size, hard to clean stairs and under furniture.
More About The Oreck Commercial U2000R-1
The Oreck Commercial U2000R-1 is a great heavy duty vacuum that works on a variety of flooring. It has excellent suction that takes dirt and dust out of the toughest of carpets and is also a tough opponent for pet hair throughout the home. With a forty foot power cord, this vacuum also lets you vacuum multiple rooms without the hassle of finding a new outlet every few feet.
This model can run through different floors and carpets quickly without getting stuck even with its powerful suction ability. It makes for a smooth cleaning experience.
- Helping hand handle is great for those with arthritis
- 12" cleaning path
- Automatic floor adjustments
- Powerful high speed brush rolls
- Has an extra wide cleaning path to pick up more dirt in less time.
- Comes with washable filters to save the user more money.
- Works on carpet, hardwood, and upholstery.
- Contains Helix Dirt Separation Engineering to pick up more dirt and dust from carpets.
- Brush motor could be considered weaker than most
- Bagless, so for those who prefer the vacuum bag, this is not a good model.
- Suction decreases over time.
More About The Bissell Powerforce Helix Vacuum
The Bissel Powerforce Helix Model Vacuum is great for those who have high pile, low pile, and all other variety of carpets in the house. It is designed to have edge to edge cleaning, to give the home a deeper clean and to make maneuvering around furniture much more manageable.
Surprisingly, even though this vacuum is on the cheaper end of the scale, it’s incredible how much dirt it picked up and how clean it kept even the thickest carpets. It also includes a twenty-foot cord which is great for larger areas. It’s also very lightweight so it’s great on stairs and it comes with two washable filters that can be cleaned with warm water.
- Washable filter
- TurboBrush tool for stairs and upholstery
- Lightweight and maneuverable
- TurboPass brush roll helps get dirt on the first pass
Well, that's it!
Cleaning high pile carpeting can be a challenge. To do the job right, you need the right tools. We hope this buyer's guide has helped shed some light on the situation.
None of these doing it for you? Want to see the best of the best? Check out Modern Living 101's top choices for the best vacuums of 2018 to learn more.
Now it's your turn.
What features do you look for when considering a vacuum for high pile carpeting? Let us know in the comments section below!